Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Nevada Rollercoaster

Hmmm, where did I leave off? Never mind, I wrote that post in my sleep anyway...so, I enjoyed the visit with Carin, Thayne, Leo and Suzanne immensely! Coco thought he was in Doggie Disneyland. Frodo (Carin's dog) was happy to shepard Coco around the dairy and introduce him to the cows and Coco was only too happy to pee on each and every blade of grass. He was ecstatic, and slept with a smile on his face all week. Fluffy got off to a rough start...Frodo, it turns out is trained to attack anything smaller than him (a doxie) which put Fluffy in the category of mouse. I'm sure you can sympathize with her regal cat horror, that is until...Thayne plowed the grounds around the farm disturbing the field mice (who decided that the garage complete with rabbit food was THE place to be. Fluffy had a mouse party, and frankly, I have never seen her happier.
I had intended to spend four or five days in Fallon, but the hospitality as well as the additional visits by Jennifer, Denise, her two girls (Lilly and Haley aka Cute and Cuter) and their roommate Colleen made a week go by in a blink.

I did get to visit Honey Lake which was certainly beautiful, but was eliminated as a potential residence due to road conditions. I got a little itchy to get back on the road, but Carin gave me a talking to and I must confess, she convinced me to slow down and enjoy the moments - which I certainly did! Laura called on Thursday and we planned to get together for her birthday tomorrow but, it was not to be. I'm still not sure why, but I wish her a very happy thirtieth and hope she enjoys herself however she chose to spend it.

After eating everything that didn't eat me first, also known as Lilly's fourth birthday party, I headed back to California to get my car smogged to complete it's registration. I am not going to explain why I left Ca. without doing this first, you just have to know me...Fluffy, who has become quite the traveler, has earned the privilege of entering and exiting her carrier at will. She enjoys climbing all over the van and visiting with Coco in the back seat. At about three in the morning, I was driving down 395 which had become a two lane highway. Fluffy climbed up the passenger seat back to survey her kingdom from the top of the neck rest. After some time of going up and down the windy hilly road, an eighteen wheeler with it's brights on was clearly visible for miles. Fluffy, so new to driving was certain that she was going to be cat scrap and let out a yowl that could be heard into the next county. I am not certain how she reached this particular pitch while jumping backwards to hide under the bench seat where she remained until I removed her this evening. My guess, Fluffy does not like roller coasters, so no Disneyland ticket for her.

Anyway, it turns out that there are NO smog stations off the 395 south so I headed east toward the Arizona border and found a smog station in beautiful downtown Barstow. If you are not familiar with Barstow, consider yourself lucky, all you need to know is that it is in the middle of the desert and people live there on purpose (though I am not sure why).

While the young man with the irregular Mohawk, more v than centered, put my car on the apparatus, he had the left wheel touching the metal plate that supports the car. As he accelerated to the necessary mph, patches of rubber flew off the tire with clouds of choking rubber smoke. "Stop" repeated loudly did nothing to alter his procedure until other words were added. I will not repeat these magic words for fear of confusing those of you who do not speak fluent French.

To make a long story short, the owner of the shop is replacing my tire and yes, it did have to be custom ordered, so I am writing you tonight from the Budget Inn-conveniently located right next to Denny's and twelve blocks from the tire store.

Tomorrow I am either going to Tuscon or San Diego, yes I realize that they are not even in the same state or direction but Gypsy Noonan is in from Alaska until the 15th and is staying in San Diego and I have already RSVP'd for a stay in Tuscon so you can see my dilemma? I'll have to let you know how it works out, in the meantime, believe it or not...drum roll please...AT&T actually managed to get my home phone calls forwarded to my cell phone (only one month late) but if you have deleted that number it's fine with me since it come directly to me without any AT&T fingerprints or charges...talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment