Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Indianapolis 70/70

Leaving Colorado was probably premature. I could very easily settle nicely 50 to 100 mile west of Colorado Springs. I will certainly be going back to investigate housing there. God, such beauty! I swung by Aunt Joan Helm's to surprise her on her birthday, but she wasn't home-so I left a sweet note and carried on. I hopped onto I70 and made a bee line for Kentucky...at least that's what I thought.

It took all day to drive through Kansas, and by the time I stopped for dinner-everything was closed. Oh yeaha, this is Kansas and with a two hour time change my eight-thirty was their 10:30 and the only thing left open was Arbys. I gave it a shot, and let's just say that Coco loved all of it. He had nuclear farts the next day but what can you do?

I grabbed a few hours in the van and woke up to open the windows...God Coco, take it outside. He was smiling in his sleep, I just know he knew that he was blowing wind...yuck. No more Arbys for us!

Being as I was awake, and having been talked into Ohio as my next stop, I powered on down the 70 into and through Illinois and into Indiana. It began to rain in that way that is so puzzling to Californians. It was sunny, hot as could be and raining a hot fast drizzle. In my rear view mirror I saw the biggest thunderhead I have ever seen. The national weather service started issuing sever weather warnings for the area I was going through and I started to freak out just a little bit.

I was traveling 70 on 70 and the storm was moving at 55 so it should stay behind me all the way. Every time the report was issued, they changed the location just that much closer to where ever I was and it really started to pour. It got really dark, and the truckers started hauling ass. I took this as my cue to do the same, and all rules of the speed limit were abandoned by everyone as we all raced ahead of the storm. The wind was with us, and I got excellent gas mileage, but as the day wore on-I became more than a little frightened. At one point the storm was announced to be ten miles behind me! So much for their calculations of how fast it was moving...

I started sweating it. I was down to a quarter tank and now the National Weather Service was advising-get this- it is advised that you go into the center of your home and stay away from the windows and remain on the first floor...oh, S***, I don't have a first floor, and I don't even have enough gas to weigh down the van. I was so happy for every rock in the van (of which I have many) and put the pedal to the medal. My speedometer only goes up to 90, so I drove 90 - ha!
I drove to one eighth of a tank, which happened to be back in sunny showers and pulled into a gas station. Filled it up, and found a Days Inn that accepted pets. The only problem is that the pets did not accept the Days Inn. If it smelled that bad to me, I can only imagine what they got out of it.

I took the Therma del Sol bath oil which as a very strong peppermint note and filled the bath tub. This settled the animals down, but I put my pj's over my clothes and watched the storm pass over Indianapolis. There were more than twenty-five lightening strikes simultaneously hitting parts of the city and sirens were everywhere. It really was like a scene out of a movie! The storm passed and I passed out. I slept like a rock and the animals didn't budge though I didn't wake up until eleven-fifteen. It was okay though cause there was no possible way I was taking a shower in that room, it did serve its purpose though...I lived to tell the tale, so much for taking in the sights though...maybe next time I'll see what those states look like.

If you're thinking that I was headed toward Kentucky, you would be correct except that I missed the exit and was no way going back so...I'll go see Steve, the true American hero in a week or so...or something like that. I'll have to go back to my map and figure out how to get him and Patrick into some part of this trip.

I drove another hundred miles or so to Andrew's, and here I sit, well fed and looking forward to a great visit over the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. you are having quite a trip....you go girl....and may i suggest safer....we don't want you to be a splat on god's windshield...just kiddin....didja watch the laker game????probally not....looks like you saw twister or your own version of it in real life and in real time....i finally got added as a follower....see i toldja i could do it....still tryin to sell stuff on ebay...it's my 12th paycheck...and it's fun...except for all the work....why don't people just send me money...it would be so much easier for me...but of course why would i want to do something the easy way....it's the hard way or no way....that's my motto....that men's warning i forwarded was very funny, but carol didn't seem to think so....i don't understand why she didn't laugh at all....her laugh receptors musta been down....gotta go....you keep on keepin on....and hurry up and go home wherever that may be.....

    ReplyDelete