Saturday, June 12, 2010

Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fridge?

When I left Santa Fe yesterday it was 94 degrees, the coolest it had been for the entire stay, this morning I happily put on jeans and a tee shirt and headed up Colorado 550. Boy am I glad I saved it for morning! It was so beautiful!I Ohhed and Ahed my way for at least fifty miles, then it began to rain-and it was still so beautiful!

The road ascends for at least twenty miles at a clip (or as I used to believe-goes north), then winds around any number of times and desends for more or less the same distance (or goes south-putting you right back where you started?) on the second or third incline it was raining steadily, but the road was hot from the sun. The rain began to whisp into small clouds off the highway, which looked a little like angels dancing. As I wound up the mountainside, the whisps thickened into a low level fog and coming around a particularly tight turn became full on fog.

I have never seen fog formed this way. I have seen it roll in like the ocean across the valley when I was driving up to see Trina and Bill in Morgan Hill. I have seen it descend on a hillside while driving across the the Rocky Mountains, but forming from the ground up? That is too cool! Actually, I was so enthralled by the experience that I forgot to be nervous about driving such a winding mountain road. The rain turned to fog, then hail, then SNOW! Oky, only for about five secondsand then it reversed the entire process as I descended the mountain. Someone forgot to tell the weather here that it is June. It really was fun, but also exhausting.

I found a cabin/motel that allows pets and checked in. I am 85 miles east of Colorado Springs. If I had Aunt Joan/Jean's number I'd see if she'd enjoy a visit. I may try anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment