Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It's Been a Dog-gone Week

I have been hoping for something light or encouraging to write about this week, but then I realized that it would not happen-and it probably shouldn't.  You see, my dog died.  There, I said it. 

He was a good companion, and was excellent on our travels these last couple of years.  It was only at home that he was a piece of work.  For all his antics, I surely miss him.  I don't think I miss him near as much as Fluffy does.

Fluffy was the size of an Italian sausage when I rescued her and her three siblings from under the library at school.  It was fortunate that I lived so close to the school because I was able to pop in and out on breaks and feed them.  It didn't take Coco long to adopt them and one day when I came in he was allowing them to suckle him.  Oh, how I wish I had a shot of that!

It may seem hard to believe, but Coco, a mid-sized half golden half shepard also taught them how to use the litter box.  I never saw him do it, but I was grateful when he stopped using it.  I will admit that it came in handy those few days when my meetings ran long or other event that kept me away for too long.

All these years, probably six or seven, Coco and Fluffy have had a very close relationship.  It's funny because they have the same coloring and so, I guess, they may have been related after all...I know that's silly, but who can really say?  Fluffy and Coco taught me a lot about love.  When Fluffy had her litter, Coco was right there to help.  Just watching them interact has more than amused me through all the trials and tribulations of the last couple of years. 

I am not in a hurry to get another dog, though I surely will.  I like my animals to pick me, which sometimes takes a while.  I know there are very many animals in need of rescuing, but some things take time and I think this is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment