Sunday, December 5, 2010

Turtling

It's nearly one am and I am sitting on the couch at Jim and Lorraine's.  The house is quite still except for a couple of kittens chasing whatever they're chasing at the moment.  It will be a while before my foot lets me go to sleep, so I've decided to post a day early.

Things have been difficult lately and I find myself wondering how long this period of my life will linger?  I know for a fact that life changes whether or not you want it to, and in this case, I want it to very much.  I want to unpack the van and find some things that have disappeared into regions otherwise unaccessible.  Then again, that's more work than I can do in one session....it will wait for me.  I want to get my bed out of storage, and I want to sleep in it.


The other day, one of my sisters said that I was sort of like a turtle, carrying my house with me.  I must say I like that term better than traveling, which sounds more casual than I've been.  I certainly like it better than other words that describe this period of transition for me.

I have been trying to wrap my head around the move to Colorado.  As soon as I decided to commit to it, my jewelry finally got picked up by a shop.  Now, I am kind of muddled.  Making enough jewelry to put in a shop is an investment worth making, but you can only spend money once and on the back of my last trip east, it's a stretch.  Moving, as anyone can tell you, is an expensive proposition.  So, the question becomes: Invest to stay or invest to go....hmmm....Whichever way you shake it, it comes out expensive.  This is not the place to go into finances, but disability is not a prosperous situation.  In fact, I have in mind to write a thorough piece about it once I finish any of the projects already in motion...jewelry, moving, Fluffy's book...nothing too complicated.

I suspect that most people, like me, think that they are protected in case of accident or injury.  Actually, that's very rarely true.  At best, most people have a little grace time to batten down the hatches if they can't work anymore. In many ways, I am a very fortunate women.  I can (and do) a variety of things to fill in the gap, keep myself entertained and productive.  I have always been a busy person, and I've been working (in some way) since I was eight years old.  The notion that I am retired is still somewhat foreign to me, though I am getting the hang of it.  So, like the turtle and the hare, I'll keep plugging along, and in the end, it will be just fine.  In the meantime, this turtle is tired.  Sorry if this post isn't as chipper as others, but it is very hard to tell when a turtle is excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment