Thursday, September 2, 2010

New Eyes for the Desert

It seemed to take forever to drive out of California this time, one of the last things I did before leaving was drop off the garage door opener at my former residence. I should have anticipated it, but the animals were so happy when I pulled into the driveway, and so very upset when we pulled back out! Coco jumped into the driver's seat and absolutely refused to budge out of it. If he could have, he would have physically prevented me from going one inch away from our former home. I felt so badly for them because, I too want to go home. It is such a different experience to travel without a humble abode awaiting my return. It took a little getting used to, and I confess that I am chomping at the bit to begin my house search in earnest.

Nonetheless, I am headed to New Mexico for the month of September to visit with Jack and Sue, then house sit for them, with another visit upon their return. I am look forward to this. Of course I want to visit with my dear friends, but I also want to spend some time with myself, writing and collecting myself from twelve thousand miles of driving across this beautiful country as well as laying down my emotions from so many heartfelt experiences visiting family and friends-many of whom I hadn't seen in decades.

There is a lot to process but when I crossed into Arizona that all changed. Perhaps it was that the speed limit went from seventy to seventy-five, or that the roads were repaved to a smooth sweet finish, rather than the single lanes with construction of my previous passage...perhaps it was the glorious weather, cool clear and sunny? Perhaps it was the feel of the new tires and realignment? Perhaps it was all of these things, but it was a beautiful drive.

I have never been a fan of the desert, but this trip could change all of that. All through eastern Arizona the black-eyed Susans smiled as far as the eye could see. Coming into Flagstaff, the trees were in full leaf with every shade of green dappled in the plants and grasses. For the first time, I saw true beauty in the southwestern colors of the rose colored hills contrasted by the sage in full bloom. Crossing into New Mexico, the landscape stretches out, you can see the mountains and ridges in the distance. I felt that I could drive forever, which is a good thing because I had quite a drive yet to go.

I have arrived in Santa Fe, at the home of Jack and Sue Warford. I don't have much to report but I am safe and sound. My feet are swell, in both meanings of the word but I have plenty of time to relax and recover. In the meantime, I intend to begin my research into relocating anew, and prepare an itinerary for October beginning with a short visit to Aunt Joan Helm in Colorado and going northwest to see where affordable housing leads me. It is possible that I will need to return to California for doctor's visits, but that will only shift my departure point as this phase of visits with family and friends comes to a conclusion. I hope to be ensconced in my new abode by Thanksgiving, and that means I have some homework to do...good thing I'm good at it :D

No comments:

Post a Comment