Monday, November 12, 2012

The First Chill Of Winter

It was sunny this morning, but that didn't lift the chill from the air.  Kanga, the newest addition to my little family, looked at me with that expression of betrayal-believing as all little ones do, that the adult controls the weather.  That is little better than believing that the weather person controls the weather...a personal pet peeve.

This week saw the re-election of the American President, and a sigh of relief was heard throughout the country as political ads left the airways.  There was little sigh of relieve at the president's re-election since his non-supporters believe him to be 1) the anti-Christ 2) a secret Muslim controlling the demise of our beloved country, or 3) not capable of breaking the gridlock in the current Congress (which includes both the House of Representatives and the Senate).  This is the aspect of Mr. Obama's administration that was most tempting for me to cross parties this election had the opposing candidate  not been 1) a mercenary capitalist 2) a detail free planner and 3) seemingly unable to understand what the American populace has been through and what remedies need to be in place for us to thrive again.

I am somewhat of a simpleton when it comes to politics, for I truly believe that once the election is over, and the winner declared-it is time to rally behind the winner for the good of the country.  This concept use to be known as patriotism.  Now, I am not sure what is meant by that word currently in our culture, for I remain convinced (against current experience) that we will come together as a nation to solve the problems facing us today.

The only way that this can NOT happen is if Americans allow it.  It is infuriating to me that so many people accepted the Republican strategy of "Just say no" and their conviction that if they tied up our government in knots it would guarantee that Mr. Obama would not be re-elected.  Secretly, I think this is why many people stayed home, the couldn't bring themselves to vote for him but they couldn't support governance by blackmail either.  So, things remain largely as they were-except for one little thing.  President Obama doesn't have to be re-elected again, ever and is actually free to hold their feet to the fire, wrangle them into submission or start the political arm twisting that brings about cooperation.  Who knows what he might do now that he has been told quite clearly that we want what he promised us and gridlock is not acceptable?

I will end my rant there because my hands are cold and I doubt that anyone is still reading anyway.  Besides, I need to take the little dog out and she is not aware of the drastic temperature change she is about to experience before I can sleep with the confidence that I won't wake up by a puddle or other unwelcome deposits.

No comments:

Post a Comment